The Trump administration’s sustained attacks on conservation areas in the USA has mobilised the outdoor industry in unprecedented ways. Now the key forces in the outdoor and snow sports industries – the National Ski Areas Association (NSAA), the Outdoor Industry Association (OIA) and Snowsports Industries America (SIA) have joined forces to step up action on climate change solutions.
In a media statement, they say:
“As associations representing outdoor retailers, brands, suppliers, and resorts across the country, we share a common desire to see climate legislation that results in broad-scale carbon emission reductions, strong incentives for clean and renewable power and continued support of research on climate solutions. Our new Outdoor Business Climate Partnership (OBCP) aims to provide leadership on climate change and inspire meaningful action across our collective memberships. We will work together as stewards, innovators and stakeholders in support of moving our country toward a clean energy economy and improving the resiliency of our $887 billion industry. The time for climate action is NOW.
The OBCP supports:
- Passage of comprehensive and bipartisan climate legislation in Congress that results in broad-scale carbon emission reductions, promotes energy innovation and supports the transition to a clean energy economy
- Market-based policies that cost-effectively reduce GHG emissions
- Encouraging our members to engage in the process of helping to shape and support state policies and utility initiatives to decarbonize the grid
The OCBP pledges to:
- Collectively engage in advocacy with key policy makers to stress the urgency and need for passage of comprehensive and bipartisan climate legislation
- Raise awareness among policy makers on the potential impacts of climate change on the outdoor recreation industry
- Leverage the outdoor recreation industry’s economic, political and social influence by working together in partnership and adopting common messaging in outreach and social media
- Engage our members by elevating the issue of climate change as a priority for businesses and inspiring action toward climate solutions
- Provide our members with education, tools and programs to reduce carbon emissions in their operations and green their supply chains
- Encourage our members to adopt carbon reduction targets in their operations and measure progress in meeting those targets
- Encourage member engagement with state and utility level initiatives to decarbonize the grid
- Support research and funding of adaptation and restoration measures that will protect the outdoor experiences that millions of Americans enjoy and ensure that future generations can continue to enjoy the health and fitness benefits of outdoor recreation
- Collaborate with other business coalitions in support of climate change solutions to strengthen our voice and maximize our effectiveness
The ski industry leads in climate change action and advocacy
The ski industry is a leader in supporting green initiatives, legislation and business practices. Learn more about how regional organizations across the nation are supporting the efforts of the OBCP and standing united against climate change.
- State Ski Trade Associations Unite Behind Climate Action (January 2019)
- Colorado Ski Country USA, Ski Utah, Ski Areas of New York, Ski California, Ski Vermont, the Pacific Northwest Ski Areas Association, and Ski New Mexico have committed to taking climate action
- NSAA Climate Challenge program and participants
Learn more about the OBCP