The Victorian Backcountry Festival will happen at Hotham, over the weekend of Sept 7 and 8. The program has just been released and is available here.
So far the program has 27 tours and workshops, from beginner to advanced, covering snow shoeing, splitboarding, alpine touring, telemark, and cross country. There will be skillshares in fat bikes, snow and avalanche safety, navigation, snow camping, rescue and a film making workshop.
- Start the weekend with a drink at the Snowline in Harrietville on Friday night
- Meet at The General early on sat for a briefing and tours (there are currently 19 tours and workshops on offer)
- Speaker’s program from midday at The General
- Then head to the outdoor bar (1 km ski/ skin in) and then kick on at Blizzard brewery in Dinner Plain
- Sunday is mostly longer tours (there are currently 8 tours planned for that day)
- The weekend finishes off with an evening brought to you by Protect Our Winters, featuring great speakers and 2 films, at The Bird
- Then Monday morning, the 3 day Feathertop camp out starts
- Alpine Access Australia is offering 2 day AST 1 avalanche courses before, during and after the festival.
Please remember to buy tickets for the weekend if you haven’t already (it’s $10 a person for the weekend)