We all know that unchecked climate change poses an existential threat to the wild places we know and love.
This is a global problem, and requires a co-ordinated global solution. But all states, governments and communities also need to play their part. And we have a huge opportunity to see Victoria leap forward and start the transition away from it’s current reliance on fossil fuels.
This is a simple (and hopefully, creative) action that only takes a few minutes to do.
Tuesday 24 March marks the final week before the Andrews government must make its decision on the state’s first Emissions Reduction Targets for 20205 and ’30.
The outcome will set the pace of climate action over the next decade. It will have major implications for how we travel, where we get our electricity, how we produce food, the level of protection for native forests, and more.
We know the Premier and Cabinet are busy leading Victoria’s response to the Coronavirus crisis. But when the time comes for them to make a decision on the targets, we want it to be a quick one and the right one.
It’s critically important for the Premier and Cabinet to hear from the community in the final days before the legislated deadline of the decision. We need them to hear our call for targets that help keep global warming below 1.5°C.
Will you join us in the final push?…
With people holed-up at home to flatten the curve of the pandemic, we must get creative and take out call to social media.
If you’re up for it, here’s the plan:
* Take a selfie with our “Lead the Drive for Less than 1.5°C” placard (or home-made version) OR get creative and spell out “<1.5°C” from wherever you are… (check out the samples below).
* Post the photo on your social media accounts between now and Friday March 27 with a message to the Premier (why do you want Victoria to show climate leadership?). BUT BEFORE YOU POST ANYTHING…
* Make sure you tag Premier Dan Andrews in your social media post. The Premier can be tagged on Facebook by using the “@” symbol and typing Dan Andrews. On Twitter and Instagram, it’s @DanielAndrewsMP.
* Use the hashtags #VicTargets and #SpringSt to put the issue on the agenda of politicians and journalists across the state…
* Please also tag us so we can amplify your message via our accounts. We’re Act on Climate Vic on Facebook and @ActOnClimateVic on Twitter and Instagram.
Finally, if you don’t have social media and would still like to participate, email your photos to email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org and we’ll share them from our accounts.
Let’s rally together (while safely apart) on Tuesday to make sure that “<1.5°C” is front of mind when the decision is made on how Victoria responds to the climate crisis.
Leave a Reply