Lots of people are asking whether the Backcountry Festival will happen this year. The short answer is YES, providing Mt Hotham is open and backcountry access is allowed.

With the COVID-19 pandemic requiring society wide shut down of non essential activity, it is not yet certain whether the 2020 ski season will happen. Obviously, like all other snow lovers, we are anxiously waiting for the government announcement on whether ski season will proceed, and if it does, in what form.

Because the festival is not scheduled until the end of winter (September 4 – 6), we are hopeful that the festival will be able to proceed.

We are planning for a great event – similar in format to previous years but over three days. All the stuff that people love: tours, workshops, speakers program, the outdoor bar. We are also looking into holding two on-snow campsites

A range of working groups are meeting remotely to plan the festival.

Once there is an announcement about the season, we will let you know what’s happening with the festival.

Header BCF 2020